Updated for 2016
I was recently consulting with a vacation rental investor who asked me a very good question that I think many people often don’t consider when buying a home in the Davenport and Kissimmee areas. She asked, “What’s it like living full time in a primarily short term rental neighborhood?”. That is such a great question for so many reasons. I’m going to list some of the pros and cons that I think every home buyer needs to consider before buying their primary home or retiring in a vacation rental neighborhood.
Disney Area Vacation Rental Neighborhood Pros:
- The chances are very high that your neighbors won’t be around to bug you much, you could even run for the HOA president if you want. You’ll be one of the few who can commit to it!
- The community amenities such as the pool and tennis courts are usually kept up very nicely and often offer more amenities than non-STR communities. Heck, you may even have a resort water park and restaurant in your vacation rental neighborhood.
- The surrounding homes are usually kept up in good condition because of the management companies managing them.
- Usually there are many nearby activities within short driving distance and you’re close to all the attractions.
Disney Area Vacation Rental Neighborhood Cons:
- Because your neighbors are so transient it’s hard to make friends and develop any type of friendly relationship, that’s especially tough for children who depend on neighborhood friends.
- The vacation rental neighborhood community pool is usually more crowded than at a non STR community as are the other amenities.
- You will have a lot of extra traffic coming in and out of your vacation rental neighborhood like management company vans, concierge type companies, taxi’s etc.
- Local grocery stores tend to get very crowded and during certain times of the year you will notice a lot more traffic.
Though these factors listed above are important to consider it should not hold too much weight on your decision. There are many people living among communities that are shared with short term rentals and they are very happy. If you love the home and you can live with the possible downfalls of sharing it with property management companies and tourists than don’t let all the nay sayers get you down. Enjoy the fact that you got a good deal and focus on the positives.
We hope to earn the opportunity of helping you achieve your investment property goals this year. To set up a free, no obligation investment property consultation with us please use our scheduling tool or contact us directly at 866-422-6191 and if you have enjoyed this article please consider subscribing to our blog and stay updated on future information.